Friday, May 7, 2010

A Trustworthy God

Over the past few weeks, God has been placing people and circumstances in my life that have been teaching me a lot about trusting Him to provide the right things at the right times. The most recent example of this, of course, has to do with graduating from college. In this first week of "adulthood" I have been stressed out, burdened down, and altogether a worrying mess about how I'm going to find a job, how Jesse and I are going to make it on our own, etc. Some of these fears, I have felt, were well-grounded, others not so much. Regardless of the roots of these fears, one piece of advice has arisen in every conversation I have had about them. "Trust God, and wait on His perfect timing."

It was honestly (and sadly) ridiculously difficult for me to do this, and I had to spend a lot of heart-felt prayer time asking God to help me trust...which seems kind of silly if you think about it (I know academically that He is totally trustworthy, but I still need help living out any sort of belief in that?). Regardless, He was faithful, and helped me to open up to my parents about how afraid I was about upcoming life...which was a big deal...because I don't generally tell people about the things that I worry about. It turns out, parents can be an amazing support system, and sometimes just having them there and knowing that they know you're afraid actually sets them up to give you the courage to press on. So side lesson: parents can be a much bigger blessing than we often realize (and they don't think you're dumb for wondering how you're going to make it!!!).

Anyway, I side-tracked. What I wanted to say was that after all this learning to actually trust God business (and not just saying it), He very faithfully provided for us! In the rough-cut budget we had worked out, there was a specific amount short that we were falling on our monthly allowances, and I was really worried about this. God was so amazing as to bless me with a housekeeping position that will work around any potential future nursing positions for that exact amount! I was basically floored. And then just to put the cherry on top, I had another offer to do some work for someone too. As if He hadn't already blessed us enough! Sometimes I think God just likes to amaze us and then sit back and laugh because He knew He was capable all along. (sigh) Sometimes I'm amazed at just how small the capacity of this human mind is... :o)

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Nikki! This is awesome, and God is awesome! In a way, I wish we still lived across-ish from each other in the hall so that I could bounce over and give you a big hug...but at the same time, on a completely selfish note, I really like my bed here at home! :P
    Anyways, I'm so happy for you and that God is working everything out! Oh, and...I LOVE YOU!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our God is awesome! I needed to read this tonight, so thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete