Sunday, February 1, 2015

It Is Well With My Soul

Recently, I've heard the hymn "It is Well With My Soul" in several different places. The words have given me something to mull over, in that our family is walking through a challenging time right now. I found myself wondering what I was really saying when I sang the words, "Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'" Doesn't that just sound like I'm being a superficial Christian? Like I'm just living on the surface of life and not letting the magnitude of our current situation sink in? I could see how it could very easily come across in the same way that you're just expected to say, "I'm good," when you pass someone and they say, "Hi, how are you?"

But then, I tried to really think about these words in the context of our faith. I've been learning a ton recently about how suffering, thanksgiving, and the process of sanctification all fit together (currently working through 1000 Gifts, by Ann Voskamp and A Beautiful Disaster, by Marlena Graves...it's amazing how well these books complement each other!). I'm learning how when we stop to recognize the tiny gifts God gives us every day, we can read back over those lists to be strengthened for the present and an unknown future. I'm learning how living a life of gratitude, where no small gift goes unappreciated, can truly fill your soul with peace and joy; that joy is not a concept that excludes our difficult emotions, but one that transcends them. I've found myself questioning over and over again why my heart is so full when by all means, I should be worried, frustrated, and hopeless. My temptation earlier in life had been to skim the surface of trials to avoid falling into the mire and getting stuck, so at first, I was worried that I was doing the same thing now. But I don't think so.

When you believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that God is good, that He is in control, and that He works all things together for the good of those who love Him and seek His will, there is no room left to be worried and stressed. You can choose to believe in the reliability of God or the unreliability of God, but faith reminds us that only one of those is True. And the Truth is that our God loves us infinitely, and has been, is, and will be unchanging forever. When I consider that, I can sing this hymn with renewed fervor, choosing to believe that life and circumstances are firmly in His grasp. Rather than a weak and superficial statement, it becomes a battle cry. I stand in church listening to the words and imagine myself as part of the ancient Israelite army, marching around Jericho with no weapons but their shouts of praise, finding the entire city handed over to them. They met their formidable foe head on, but looked to God rather than the magnitude of what they were up against. And when they chose to be obedient and offer their praise heavenward, He did the impossible.

So too, my call for right now is not to worry about the future, but to look to God, praise Him for his daily gifts given me in love and grace, and to trust that He knows where He is leading, and that that is the best possible route. When this is my focus, I can say in all honesty, and with great depth, that it truly is well with my soul. I wish with all my heart I could put this into words that would help you understand this peace and joy if you are not a believer, but the fact of the matter is, it will probably sound like complete gibberish to you until you have a saving knowledge of God. For now, please take my word for it, that you will not regret for one moment handing your life into His able hands and ditching the burden you've been trying to shoulder for so long. Consider it, wouldn't you? Consider what it would be like to choose unshakable peace, joy, and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment